Sunday, August 4, 2013

Sitting by the Spree-side

First of all, I simply cannot take credit for "Spree-side", I saw it on someone else's blog.  I should be ashamed, but it was so cute I copied it.  Sorry, internet! 


All the same, my Berlin experience was notched up to slightly even more Berlin-esque when I went to Badeschiff today with my lovely friend David.  Those of you who are familiar with Berlin may not be aware of this, but it is the most Berlin place that I have ever been to - that is, fully of the strange, contradictory, outdoor, and fun, but with rules of course. 

It all starts with the classic Berlin conundrum of the best places being the most difficult to get to.  Go past Club der Visionaere, one of the top rated bars in Berlin, which is open 24/7, constantly plays some form of techno, and is outdoors.  Follow the randomly placed signs through the sketchy looking warehouse area, and suddenly you find yourself at a rudimentary beach area. 

You have to pay to get in, which is par for the course in Berlin, but unlike other beach areas, you cannot bring in your own drinks or food - water, fruit, nothing.  I brought in my own fruit which I managed to hide in the nick of time, but unfortunately the water went into the large trough of confiscated water bottles that had to be disposed of by the staff.  Pay your fine (student discount!), and go in. 
At first sight, you are treated to a sandy beach that leads to no water of any kind, but instead to a look over the industrial sights of the Spree river, before heading downstairs to the open deck, chairs included, and of course, in Berlin fashion, a swimming pool on a river.  We are not in Kansas anymore! 
Darling David!
Berlin constantly surprises me with its obsession with outdoor everything in summertime, despite the ostentatiously cold winter, and its near worship of deckchairs by the river.  Not that I'm complaining, of course.  As a woman that originally comes from another city with a large, focal river and many lakefront beaches, however, I find it hard to do anything but rejoice that this city at least has fully embraced its ability to find warmth and joy in its few weeks of stifling summer heat.  Here's to you, Berlin, and may our parting be far off. 

No comments:

Post a Comment